Liz Dennery Sanders
Luminary Circle founding member and former chair of the Los Angeles Board of Directors Liz Dennery Sanders offers Step Up members insight each month into key steps to success.
No one ever plans to be average. When you were a little girl and your parents asked you what you wanted to be when you grow up, did you answer with a resounding, “I want to be average!” I seriously doubt it.
And yet, we live in a world where mediocrity is the norm. We glide through a sea of sameness, accepting the status quo just to get through the day.
This, my friend, provides an extraordinary opportunity for you, the game-changer.
When you have a powerful personal brand, you elicit a strong emotional response from people and deliver on an unspoken promise of tremendous value. You have a heartbeat. You want to make a difference. You care.
Since the order of the day for the nameless, faceless many is indifference, apathy and mediocrity, you have an opportunity to let your light shine. That’s right, stand up, stand out, and for goodness sake, stand for something.
You can tell a lot about a person’s character by the small actions she takes on a daily basis. These small gestures take average to extraordinary. I’m sure you can come up with your own list, but here are 21 actions I believe can have a remarkable impact on your personal brand:
- Write a thank you note every week to someone you are grateful for.
- Call one person each day just to see how they are doing. Give them 10 minutes of your undivided attention.
- Hold the door for the person coming in behind you.
- Be the first to say “Hello” or “How are you?”
- Listen more than you talk.
- When you read a great article or book, send a copy to five people you think would enjoy it.
- Find something you like about every single person you meet and compliment them.
- Finish what you start.
- Do more. Talk less.
- Life is too short to get bogged down in petty disagreements. Forgive, forget and move on.
- The only assumption you should make is that you always have more to learn – and everyone you come in contact with has something to teach you.
- Send a hand-written card for clients’ birthdays. Or just because.
- Share your love of music, painting, gardening, travel etc. with friends and clients.
- Let someone cut in front of you on the road.
- Seems simple, but use “Please” and “Thank you” daily.
- Brush your hair, polish your shoes and put on lipstick. People make a decision about you within ONE second of meeting you. First impressions count.
- Give a chocolate bar to everyone you come in contact with for an entire month (a personal favorite).
- Eat dessert. Enough said.
- Hug your clients.
- Smile. Leave the doom and gloom to Average Jane. There are PLENTY of them out there.
- Show up.
©Liz Dennery Sanders 2010
Would you like to use this article in your newsletter, blog or website? You’re welcome to share this article. When you do, you must include this complete copyright blurb:
©Liz Dennery Sanders 2010
Liz Dennery Sanders wants you to build your buzz and be successful beyond your wildest dreams. As the CEO of Dennery Marks Inc., a brand development and celebrity outreach firm, she founded SheBrand, to help female entrepreneurs, executives and small business owners build powerful personal brands with style, attract more clients and position themselves as experts in their industries. You can reach her directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or www.shebrand.com